Choosing the perfect wedding dress is an important part of any bride’s wedding preparations. For plus size brides, finding a gown that flatters their curves and makes them feel confident and beautiful can be challenging. One essential aspect to consider when shopping for a plus size wedding dress is its silhouette. The right silhouette can enhance your best features and provide a flattering fit. In this article, we will discuss various silhouettes that suit plus size brides and provide some helpful tips to make the selection process easier.
Understanding Different Silhouettes
When it comes to plus size wedding dresses, there are several silhouettes to choose from. Understanding these silhouettes will help you narrow down your options and find the right style that complements your body shape. Here are some popular silhouettes for plus size brides:
1. A-Line Silhouette
The A-line silhouette is a classic choice for plus size brides as it flatters most body shapes. This style cinches at the waist and gradually flows outward, creating an elegant and forgiving shape. The A-line silhouette is known for its ability to elongate the body, making it a popular choice for brides who want to appear taller and slimmer.
2. Ball Gown Silhouette
For brides who dream of feeling like a princess on their big day, the ball gown silhouette is the perfect choice. This silhouette features a fitted bodice and a full skirt that flares out from the waist, creating a dramatic and romantic look. Ball gown dresses often have corset-style bodices that provide excellent support for plus size brides.
3. Mermaid Silhouette
The mermaid silhouette, also known as the fit-and-flare, is a glamorous option for plus size brides who want to show off their curves. This silhouette hugs the body from the bust to mid-thigh and then flares out, emphasizing the waist and hips. It creates a stunning hourglass shape and adds a touch of sophistication to any wedding style.
4. Empire Silhouette
The empire silhouette is characterized by a high waistline that falls just below the bust, with a loose and flowing skirt. This silhouette is ideal for plus size brides who want to hide their midsection or have a smaller bust. The empire silhouette is not only comfortable but also creates an ethereal and romantic look.
5. Sheath Silhouette
The sheath silhouette is a sleek and modern option that closely hugs the body from head to toe. This style is perfect for plus size brides who want to showcase their natural curves. It creates a long and lean effect and is often made with lightweight fabrics that drape beautifully over the body.
Tips for Choosing the Right Silhouette
Now that you have a good understanding of different silhouettes, here are some tips to help you select the right silhouette for your plus size wedding dress:
- Consider your body shape: Assess your body shape and identify the areas you want to highlight or minimize. This will help you determine which silhouette works best for you.
- Highlight your favorite features: If you love your waist, consider silhouettes that cinch at the waistline, like the A-line or mermaid styles. If you want to show off your bust, opt for dresses with sweetheart necklines or embellished bodices.
- Try different styles: Don’t limit yourself to one silhouette. Experiment with different styles during your dress fittings to see which one makes you feel the most confident and beautiful.
- Accessorize strategically: The right accessories can enhance or downplay certain areas. For example, wearing a belt can define the waist, while a veil can add elegance and height.
- Consult with a professional: Seek the advice of a professional wedding stylist or bridal consultant who can guide you in choosing the most flattering silhouette for your body type.
1. Can plus size brides wear ball gown dresses?
Yes, absolutely! Ball gown dresses can be incredibly flattering for plus size brides. The fitted bodice provides support and enhances your curves, while the voluminous skirt can create a balanced and dramatic look.
2. What if I have a pear-shaped body? Which silhouette should I choose?
If you have a pear-shaped body, you may want to consider A-line or ball gown silhouettes. These styles draw attention to the upper body and create a balanced silhouette by accentuating your waist.
3. Will a mermaid silhouette make me look bigger?
No, a mermaid silhouette won’t necessarily make you look bigger. This style is designed to showcase your curves in a flattering way. However, it’s essential to find a well-structured gown that fits you properly to ensure a smooth and flattering silhouette.
4. Can I alter the silhouette of a wedding dress?
In most cases, yes, you can alter the silhouette of a wedding dress. However, it’s important to consult with a professional seamstress who specializes in wedding gown alterations to ensure that the changes won’t compromise the overall look and fit of the dress.